Applying for a Grant
The Foundation makes grants to organizations exempt from federal income taxes under Section 501(c)(3), or governmental units under Section 170(c)(1) of the Internal Revenue Code. Organizations must be headquartered or provide significant services within San Jose, California.
The Foundation focuses its grantmaking on programs that primarily support youth within low-income communities in San Jose. Priority is given to evidence-based programs that have formal partnerships and collaborations with schools and districts. The Foundation funds within the following program areas:
- Academic Enrichment: academic programs that support students to meet grade-level standards in literacy, language, and math, and provide access to enrichment material such as STEM education.
- Extended Learning: after-school and summer programs focused on strengthening academic achievement and offering high-quality enrichment opportunities.
- Scholarships/Financial Aid: programs that provide scholarships to underserved students to enhance their educational opportunities and increase their potential for completing post-secondary education.
- Arts Education: programs that provide access to high-quality, hands-on experiences or exposure to professional performances and exhibitions.
- Counseling/Mentoring: programs that support social emotional learning and mental health.
Types of Support
The foundation primarily provides general operating support for organizations whose programs are tightly aligned with our giving priorities. Occasionally, the foundation also provides program or project support and considers capital support for long-time grantees on a case-by-case basis.
Grant Size and Duration
Grants generally range from $20,000 to $50,000 and are made for one or two years.
How to Apply
The Foundation invites existing grantees to reapply as their current grant period is ending. Invited organizations will receive an email with instructions on how to apply.
While the Foundation is not accepting unsolicited proposals at this time, we are interested in learning about the work being done in the community. If you would like to be considered for future funding, please fill out the contact form and we will get in touch.